6.13.2012

Painting

So I had this great resolution to get more sleep by going to bed early. But I just have too many thoughts bouncing around in my brain tonight... blogging is the answer!

Right now I think the little saying that "things have a way of working out" is really true. There was a time when I would not have believed that. But it's amazing how when you're going through things you can't see what's happening. It seems really hard and confusing. Frankly, a lot of the time it appears that life is being super unfair. It definitely doesn't seem probable that these experiences are all building together to create something better than you thought possible. How does life do that? I feel like there are a lot of areas in my life that are still in the process of "being built." But then again, there are some things that I'm starting to see pan out. And it is comforting to know that things do indeed turn out okay.Sometimes even more wonderful that just "okay."  I will say, it's so nice when situations that you want to work so much come out in your favor. I really love that actually.
Ralph Waldo Emerson said,

"the years tell us much that the days never knew."

Truth! High School was especially rough. It was often hard to see why such-and-such situation wasn't working out or why I didn't have this-and-that. But looking back on those adolescent years, I was learning so much more than I realized. During the day in, day out, routine of life I couldn't see what was happening to myself. Some days were good and some were hard. But then I look back and see just how much those individual days really taught me. This reminds me of a story by Elder David A. Bednar. He was talking about a painting in his office. Close up it was simply a collection of brush strokes. On its own, these can appear to be a haphazard bunch of unimpressive and unattractive strokes that don't seem to relate to one another at all. But as you back away, the individual brushes combine and produce something magnificent. All those seemingly plain strokes work together to create something beautiful.

I love that because sometimes our days can seem so ordinary. It's sometimes hard to think that a pretty painting is even in progress. But it's those days, when we're just doing the very best we can, that count. They add up. And in the end they are what makes our lives beautiful. I think that every now and then we're allowed a little peek at the "big picture" just to give us hope that our painting is coming along nicely. I'm only 19 too. If I can look back and see how the pieces are starting to come together right now, then I can't wait to look back on my life one day and see how everything has turned out wonderfully. There's a master painter who illustrates everyone's life... and I need to remind myself to not get impatient and try to grab the brush away from Him! I should just chill out and trust that down the road things will turn out.

This blog post is kind of all over the place... but I guess that's what happens when you try to write something intelligent at 12:30 in the morning. At least I'm not turning it in for a grade tomorrow! Oh the joys of summertime :) I love school and all, but it so nice to have a break from the stress of grades and the annoyance of procrastination!

1 comment:

  1. What an eloquent way of saying exactly what I'm thinking! This is all too true. Thanks for reminding me! :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore hearing your thoughts...