7.13.2012

Adventure In The Great Wide Somewhere

I've been thinking a lot about the places I've been and the people I've met. There's something about all these travels that has changed me. I can't even fully describe it, but I'm definitely not the same person as I was before I headed out to see the world. Once of my favorite poems is by Alfred Tennyson. It's pretty long so I'll just share a few of my favorite lines:

I cannot rest from travel.
For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known: cities of men
and manners, climates, councils, governments.
I am a part of all that I have met.

Yet all experience is an arch wherethrough 
Gleams that untraveled world, whose margin fades
For ever and ever when I move. 
And this grey spirit yearning in desire 
To follow knowledge like a sinking star,
beyond the utmost bound of human thought. 
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

Push off, and sitting well in order smite
 To sail beyond the sunset, and scenes
 Of all the western stars, until I die.
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I love that idea that we become "a part of all we meet." I think that the point Tennyson is trying to make is that we NEED to get experience in order to grow. You can do that in lots of different ways: travelling, adventures, growing up, gaining an education, making friends, trying new things, falling in love, serving, moving, new jobs, developing talents, or really anything that takes you out of your comfort zone. Just always be pushing off to new things in order to explore life. All those things work together and become a part of us. The more variety we have in our experiences the more we learn. We have more things to add to who we are.I happen to have gotten very lucky and was able to really find a lot out about life and myself through travelling. 

I have a plaque in my room that would compliment this poem nicely. It says, 

"I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world."

That is so true. My adventures (thus far!) have really changed me. So I was going through some pictures and reminiscing on some good times I've had travelling that have made me into the person I am now. 

Hiking in the Swiss Alps!
Eating Gelato till I physically (and financially) couldn't! 

Standing where Paul stood during his famous
 preaching in Corinth! Surreal.
Riding donkeys into Santorini, Greece
 (and feeling like I was on Sisterhood of the travelling pants!)

Westminster Abbey, London....

My first Catholic Mass in the Notre Dame
Running into the middle of the Champs Elysees
 in Paris  just for a cool picture....was it worth risking my life?
 Yes definitely.

I'm usually not a "flower garden" girl but Monet's garden in
 France is gorgeous! Looks like it's out of a movie.

One of the prettiest things:
the Eifel tower sparking every hour on the hour! 

Just some old Roman citadel in Greece, cool right?!

Making great friends and mocking the cheesy gear we had to wear!
The gorgeous view of the Mediterranean from my
hotel balcony in Italy! Oh my how I  miss this...

Taking really stupid tourist pictures in Italy


Gondola rides in Venice ...

...and thinking Italy was just the neatest thing ever.
Audrey Hepburn photo shoot at the fountain of
 truth in Rome! Gotta re-create the Roman Holiday. 

On top of the mountain (correction, volcano) that destroyed
Pompeii back in the day! With beautiful Naples in the background.

Sprinting up the Spanish Steps in Rome

The incredible Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey...
I LOVE the Middle East.

Drinking apple cider in Istanbul sitting on legit Turkish rugs
chatting about Islam and Mormons with some friendly English
 speaking Arabs... makes for some highly interesting discussion

Watching the moon shine on the other side of the world :)
Well, from the Ponte Vecchio Bridge in Florence, Italy if we're being exact!

Well now I'm in the mood to go on another adventure...blast my college budget. I guess I'll just go start a vacation board on pinterest or something! 

5 comments:

  1. So um, I'm planning a trip to Scotland next summer with a friend. And you're welcome to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I love traveling!!... And you;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! The poetry, quotes and pictures....perfect. I feel a little guilty that we keep your soul hidden in a windowless room. Good thing you have a GREAT imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous of your travels! Awesome photos, lady!

    ReplyDelete

I adore hearing your thoughts...