8.01.2012

I Went To The Woods

Sorry for the lack of posting, I've been on vacation! Just a chill, long family reunion. Full of card games, boating, sleeping, movies, rodeos, demolition derbies, and long talks! I have realized something on this trip: I like having moments to myself. To just think and plan. Let me describe it. Laying on a hammock on the deck of my cabin. Watching the sunset from the top of a mountain. Long walks through the woods. I've got my journal out and just thinking about my life. No music blaring in my ears, just me and nature. It's perfect, really. It's those simple moments in life that seem to yield the best ideas and dreams. Far removed from the daily hustle and bustle of life, things appear more simple. It's like pressing pause in the middle of a life going by fast to realize things in a more focused lens.


 I found that some things in my life need to be changed. Some decisions have to be made. Some things are faring much better than I thought. And some things are absolutely perfect.

Henry David Thoreau, one of my favorite writers, said this in Walden, 

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." 

I think we all need those moments. To stop and think about how we're living. I like how Thoreau puts it: deliberately. I don't think that means we need to have everything planned out and know exactly what we want. It's more about paying attention and filling our lives with purpose. To recognize what life is teaching and go with it. Instead of living without engaging our mind and heart. In my mind, "going to the woods" can mean escaping anywhere by yourself, enough aesthetic beauty to be inspiring, and something to write with. Those moments recharge your batteries to help you actually live in the best way! My personal favorite place is the beach. Oh I just love it so much! This is a picture I took last year on my trip to Oceanside, CA. What I wouldn't give to be back at that condo...


P.S. So funny story time. One time Shaylee and I had a cleaning check. The person doing the check was ridiculously picky about  everything. Later that night someone asked Shay how thorough the check was. Shay replied with, "like Henry David!" 

Good one :) 

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like the absolutely perfect vacation. What I wouldn't give for one of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear you went on vacation, we all need a break from this world every once in a while, a chance to regroup and to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful vacation. So glad you had a nice little break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vacation sounds dreamy. There is no inspiration quite like nature. Glad you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love nature's ability to help me refocus and center myself. It certainly takes more effort to live deliberately, but I believe what Thoreau said is true that any other life would leave us feeling unfulfilled at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous insight! nothing like surrounding yourself in GREEN!

    ReplyDelete

I adore hearing your thoughts...