9.11.2012

The Best Of Times

I was debating if life was worth living this morning when my alarm clock blared at 5:30. It was a long night and I didn't hit the hay till almost 4 in the blessed AM. So if this post isn't my absolute best, please take that little fact into consideration!

The reason for this late night was because I had a close friend that really needed to talk. After a long talk with them I felt a bit overwhelmed with how awful the world can be sometimes. For some reason, I always tend to think of my tight circle of family and friends is invincible to what the world hurls at people. But oh how untrue that is. Things happen you don't expect. People can make some pretty bad choices sometimes. And those decisions can impact you and those you care about. But I do not believe in living a pessimistic lifestyle. As I get older I understand the importance of being real. It's completely fine to cry and have a bad day. If you dwell on the negative, though, then life becomes completely void of goodness and all you can see is the bad. The trick is constantly reminding yourself of the great things life has to offer.

For instance, on my way to the library at 6:30 this morning I took my iPod out and was devastated to see it was practically dead. I mean come on, how in hades could I survive the 15 minute walk to campus?!  But in the midst of my walk I was struck with how beautiful and still the world is right before it wakes up. It's quite serene. And all the though the world isn't even close to perfect, it's nowhere close to evil either. There is a tremendous amount of lovely things in this world. I honestly couldn't be happier to be alive and living in this time. Like the fabulous Charles Dickens wrote, it's the best of times and the worst of times. But I am lucky enough to live a life where I can spend most of my time living in the "best of times" category. I think that most of that is because there are people that I love who are genuinely good and who bring SO much happiness into my life.

Which brings me to my next topic of discussion...

So on Saturday my great boyfriend totally surprised me with flowers and a perfect home-cooked dinner. My heart just melted a bit over that! What a great guy, right? I absolutely love surprises. Especially when people go out of their way to do something special for me. It makes me feel so loved that someone would actually do something so sweet just for me! Yeah it was just a perfect date. I think I may have said this before on this blog, but I really appreciate having a boyfriend who tries so hard to understand me, lets me talk about all of my pointless dramas over and over, supports my ambitions, listens to me, puts up with my quirkiness (which albeit, does occasionally come out), and most importantly that I can trust.


So here's to enjoying the best of times! 

6 comments:

  1. hey that's a cute picture! this is a great post. so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got off Facebook, and my initial reaction was to "like" this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morg.... I just love you!! Your the best!! You are so funny... But not to much;) just the right amount of quirky! Here's to the best of times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um you're and too.... Whoops! Haha it's clear you're the writer of the fam... Not me!;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're adorable!

    <3
    http://daydreamingofnothing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I adore hearing your thoughts...