11.09.2012

Classic

I'm so excited to leave on December 19th. BUT that means I'm missing this:


Which comes out Christmas day.  I expect someone to write me and give me & give me ALL the details as soon as they see it. Because I love this story. Few other things have touched my heart as deeply as this book has. I'm currently on my 4th time re-reading this novel. Seriously, it's my very favorite book. I know it's unbelievably long, but that's also I reason I'm so in love with it. By the time you finish you feel as if you know intimately know the characters & feel completely in 19th century France. Whenever I finish Les Mis I end up aimlesly wandering around unsure of what to do with my life. But it's just an amazing story. Full of lessons about new beginnings, mercy, justice, change, love, misery, good-hearted people, down right evil ones, &, like it's title implies, misery. Time for some quotes!!  & I've just picked out some short ones (because trust me, Victor Hugo can be one long winded guy)


“Even the darkest night will end & the sun will rise.” 

“To love another person is to see the face of God.” 

“Laughter is sunshine, it chases winter from the human face.” 

“To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark folds of life.” 

“Those who do not weep, do not see.” 

"If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” 

Diamonds are to be found only in the darkness of the earth, and truth in the darkness of the mind. ”

"For there are many great deeds done in the small struggles of life.”

"It is time for us all to decide who we are."


Okay I'll stop. Even though I could easily go on for pages & pages... Every time I read it I something new stands out to me & teaches me a new principles. I'm constantly having new experiences in life so different things speak to me at different times of life. That's the beauty of reading classic literature! It teaches truths that apply at all stages of life & you can learn & re-learn them over & over. While there's lots of brain candy books out there (I don't think I need to specify!) that are super fun to read, they're not books that you can come back to time & time again. You read that type of literature for the plot, not the principles. Those books don't change your life like classic literature does.

Here are some of my favorite classic books that have really changed me:

--Les Miserables by Victory Huge (obviously.)
--The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (I give my spiel on that here)
--Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
--The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandra Dumas
--The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
--Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
--The Odyssey by Homer
--Ben Hur by Lew Wallace
--The Robe by Lloyd Douglass
--The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (contrary to the opinion of most AP Englishers)

Read those. Or put them on your list. They're books that will make everyone's lives better. I can say that because it's been true in my own. If you can't tell, I'm a reader. I'd rather have my nose in a book than doing most other things. I really love to read. Especially in my pre-college days when I actually had time to read a thousand page book! Because let's face it, high school was like a breezy summer day. College, on the other hand, is like the harshest Antartica winter. So... not as much time to read whatever I like.

Well, what I originally intended to tell you, is how anxious I am to see this movie. & now I'll just have to wait a few years to see it! Oh well, I guess that it will be waiting for me when I get home... At least I won't miss the Hobbit! 

5 comments:

  1. I love to read books too , but once my one novel took 3 months to end. Ah it was toooooooo long :)
    I want to try Uncle Tom's cabin , this title sounds so kind.

    Aree
    http://areewithumbrella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 months is a long time! Props to you for even finishing it! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

      Delete
  2. I love reading classics, too! Thank you for this list. Will definitely put them in my to-read list :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les Mis and The Robe are my favorites of all time!!!! :) I feel your pain at missing the movie in December! I would die ha. It's worth it for ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Les Mis! This is going to be one of the highlight movies of the winter...quite possibly the year.

    ReplyDelete

I adore hearing your thoughts...